4 Beefsteak tomatoes, cored, seeds scooped out with a melon baller
1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup grain or grain/legume combination
1 cup lightly wilted kale, spinach or bok choy
½ cup shredded old cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees or barbecue to medium high.
2. Prepare tomatoes as directed in ingredient list.
3. Rub inside and out with olive oil then season well with salt and pepper on the inside.
4. Combine grain with greens and half the cheese.
5. Stuff ½ cup of the mixture into the hollow of each tomato.
6. Place 1 tablespoon of remaining cheese on top of each tomato, pressing down to make it sure it is inside the hollow.
7. Bake or barbecue for 15 minutes until the tomato is blistered slightly, the filling is hot and the cheese has melted. Serve immediately.
We have left the filling mixture a bit up to your preference. This is a great way of using up leftover grains such as cooked quinoa, rice, bulgur etc. The more seasoning in the grain the better the finished dish will be.